well lookie here, my oldest son turned eight on sunday. he is smart and funny and sometimes sensitive and he is just a special light in our house. here are some things i want to remember about him at this age:
- he loves chapter books right now, which is really amazing - i thought for a little while there that he would never learn to read. now, he reads beyond his grade level and gets great AR scores. whew!
- he is a music man. he loves all music and makes up his own songs on the piano by counting out the keys and writing down which ones he plays in order. dare i say...we have a composer on our hands? i don't know because i am musically challenged in every way possible, but we are setting him up with an instructor soon so maybe that will help.
- he is really into "friends" right now. ay ay ay
- he loves nash so much and often "babysits" for me while i'm cooking dinner or other times when i could use a helping hand. he is always trying to make him smile or help him in some way.
- he is pretty competitive. not sure if there is a way around this one though. he is a clowers, after all.
- he loves to help me, as long as it is with me and not something i've just asked him to do. we have had to have some talks about this one. he will always stuff sock and dirty clothes in weird places so he doesn't have to put them in the hamper. grrrrr.
we had a birthday party for him on saturday. he requested a boy party, which is just funny to me. it was almost a boy party. our good friends and neighbors came over towards the end with their two daughters, but he didn't seem to mind. ; ) i kind of think he doesn't really think they count as girls anyway because they play together so much. anyway, we went bowling with some of his friends and family and had a party at our house afterwards that included trampoline, timed races around the yard, basketball, a cookout and cupcakes. he said it was the best birthday ever and when i remembered today that i forgot to serve the gallon of ice cream he said, "we'll just have to have another party like we had the other night!"
he really is growing up to be a fine young man. as my friend courtney said today as triston came upstairs, "uhhh...you have, like, a full grown man coming upstairs!" i agree - he is growing up way to fast.